Great news from Mariánské Lázně – because the majestic town has officially been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since the summer. Those who know Mariánské Lázně know that this charming town also deserves to be part of UNESCO and the most important spa towns in Europe – the “Great Spas of Europe”. With this history and the many famous spa guests, the decision was only a matter of time.
How do you become a UNESCO World Heritage Site?
What criteria must cultural and natural sites such as Mariánské Lázn? meet in order to receive the coveted title of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization? The committee has established a few points in order to be able to make an objective selection. If they meet one or more of the following criteria, sites are considered exceptional and universal:
- The object is a unique artistic achievement, a masterpiece of a creative mind
- The object had considerable influence on the development of architecture, urbanism, art, or landscape design in a region at a particular time
- It is a unique testimony to a vanished civilization or cultural tradition
- It is an outstanding example of a type of building or ensemble or landscape that represents a significant period of human history
- It is an example of a traditional form of settlement, of land use typical of a particular culture
- It is closely associated with events, traditions, beliefs or ideas, and artistic works of universal significance
- The site is a preeminent natural phenomenon of exceptional beauty
- The site provides an exceptional example of a period of earth history, geological processes, and landforms
- The landscape provides an example of ongoing biological and ecological processes
- The site contains significant natural habitats for animals and plants, especially if they are threatened or of scientific interest
Culturally, architecturally & in terms of natural habitat, Mariánské Lázně really has a lot to offer. Therefore, it has well deserved the title. There is simply a very special flair in the place, which is mainly characterized by classicist spa buildings, spa architecture, houses, and villas from the 19th and 20th centuries. From historicism to art nouveau, everything is there. Here are a few more photos from years gone by – the buildings look almost the same today as they did then.
Those who now want to see for themselves the beauty of the dreamy place in the West Bohemian spa triangle will certainly find great pleasure in the colorful autumn. Especially at this time, the extensive parks & mystical forests surrounding the Falkensteiner Spa Resort Marienbad offer a colorful spectacle of nature. And let’s face it, a melange of deceleration and health prevention activities is never a bad idea for an autumnal getaway. After all, our bodies and minds are our most valuable assets.
If you want to discover more about Mariánské Lázně, you’ve come to the right place!